U.S. Government Affairs

• 1.  National Weather Service Discussion Thread

Posted 06-30-2023 10:26
      |   view attached

IAEM sent a letter to the House and Senate Appropriations Committees urging Congress to fund the National Weather Service at the level in the President's budget.  It is going to be a tough appropriations cycle, but hopefully Congress will find a way to provide the needed funding to maintain and grow the NWS workforce, fully support maintenance requirements, and invest in new equipment and technologies to minimize the loss of life and property when natural disasters happen.

------------------------------
    Thad Huguley
    Government Affairs Director
    IAEM
    Falls Church VA
    (615) 870-9316

• 2.  RE: National Weather Service Discussion Thread

Posted 06-30-2023 11:29

I honestly believe that people realize how much everyday decisions rely on the National Weather Service and the products AND people they support. Yes, there may be the day-to-day lookout for the chance of rain or heat, but when it comes down to taking care of their folks, especially the emergency managers, their discussions and products showing severe weather and weather changes, and their communication with public safety personnel are a necessity for us to do our jobs and to take care of our stakeholders and help prepare our locals for what's going to happen.

I know here in Oklahoma, our NWS staff are extremely important and well respected. The information they provide through emergency manager-centric and public-available webinars and posts can and have helped us brace for the worst. Without appropriate funding, the assistance we receive in information and support will be lost, delayed, and, my worry, inaccurate, which can cost the lives of our people. 

That's my 2 cents. I definitely support the National Weather Service.

Breanna Baker
    Grants Program Analyst
    Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management
    Oklahoma City OK
    (405) 868-6776